What Information We Collect
Personal Information we collect directly from you
The Personal Information we may receive or may collect directly from you includes, without limitation, the following:
(1) contact data (such as your mailing or billing address, e-mail address, and phone number);
(2) demographic data (such as your gender, your date of birth and your zip code);
(3) payment data (such as a credit card number of payment account information); and
(4) other identifying information that you voluntarily choose to provide to us, such as unique identifiers like passwords, Personal Information in emails or letters that you send to us, and other information.
We may also collect additional information as described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent. You may still access our Site if you choose not to provide us with any Personal Information, but if you elect not to share Personal Information it may affect our ability to provide products or services to you.
Billing and payment information
Information we automatically collect when you use our site
Some information, which may include Personal Information, may be automatically collected when you use our Site, such as the following: (i) IP address; (ii) domain server; (iii) type of device(s) used to access the Site; (iv) web browser(s) used to access the Site; (v) referring webpage or other source through which you accessed the Site; (vi) geolocation information; and (vii) other statistics and information associated with the interaction between your browser or device and the Site (collectively "Traffic Data"). Depending on applicable law, some Traffic Data may be Personal Information.
How We Collect Information
We collect information (including Personal Information and Traffic Data) when you use and interact with the Site, and in some cases from third party sources. Such means of collection include:
(1) When you use the Site to purchase products or services;
(2) When you voluntarily provide information in free-form text boxes through the Site or through responses to interviews, surveys, questionnaires, comments and the like;
(3) Through cookies, web beacons, analytics services and other tracking technology (collectively, "Tracking Tools"), as described below; and
(4) When you sign up to receive emails from us regarding events, products, specials or other marketing and promotional materials; and
(5) When you contact us.
Tracking tools, behavioral advertising, and opt out options
Tracking tools: We may use tools outlined below in order to provide our services to advertise to, and to better understand users.
Some cookies are placed by a third party on your device and provide information to us and third parties about your browsing habits (such as your visits to our Site, the pages you have visited, and the links and advertisements you have clicked). These cookies can be used to determine whether certain third-party services are being used, to identify your interests, and to serve advertisements relevant to you. We do not control third party cookies.
(2) Web beacons: "Web Beacons" (a.k.a. clear GIFs or pixel tags) are tiny graphic image files embedded in a web page or email that may be used to collect information about the use of our Site, the websites of selected advertisers and the emails, special promotions or newsletters that we send. The information collected by Web Beacons allows us to analyze how many people are using the Site, using selected publishers' websites or opening emails, and for what purpose, and also allows us to enhance our interest-based advertising (discussed further below).
(3) Web service analytics: We may use third-party analytics services in connection with the Site, including, for example, to register mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity and text typed into the Site. We use the information collected from these services to help make the Site easier to use and as otherwise set forth in the section called "How We Use Your Information." These analytics services generally do not collect Personal Information unless you voluntarily provide it and generally do not track your browsing habits across web services that do not use their services.
Reason.com uses Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to track visitor demographics for the purposes of measuring the interest levels of various segments of our readership and engagement with website content. Reason does not link your reading history or other actions on Reason.com with personally identifiable information such as your name or email address. Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics Demographic and Interest Reporting using ad settings.
Behavioral advertising: We may use a type of advertising commonly known as interest-based or online behavioral advertising. This means that some of our partners use Tracking Tools, such as cookies, pixel tags, and web beacons, to collect information about a user's online activities to display Reason ads to the user based on the user's interests ("Behavioral advertising"). Such partners may include third-party service providers, advertisers, advertising networks or platforms, traffic measurement service providers, marketing analytics service providers, and other third-party service providers (collectively, "Advertising service providers"). Other Tracking Tools used by our partners may collect information when you use the Site, such as IP address, operating system, browser, web page interactions, geographic location and demographic information, such as gender and age range. These Tracking Tools help us learn more about our users' demographics and internet behaviors.
Options for opting out of cookies: Many web browsers allow you to reject cookies or to alert you when a Cookie is placed on your computer.
You may opt out of receiving certain cookies and certain trackers by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) opt out page or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) consumer opt-out page. When you use these opt-out features, an "opt-out" Cookie will be placed on your computer. If you delete cookies on your computer, you may need to opt out again.
Even after opting out of Behavioral Advertising, you may still see Reason advertisements that are not interest-based (i.e., not targeted toward you). Also, opting out does not mean that Reason is no longer using Tracking Tools — we still may collect information about your use of the Site even after you have opted out of Behavioral Advertising and may still serve advertisements to you via the Site based on information it collects via the Site.
How we use your information
We may use information that is not Personal Information that has been de-identified and/or aggregated to better understand who uses our Site and how we can deliver a better experience or otherwise at our discretion.
When you visit our website, log in, register or open an email, cookies, ad beacons, and similar technologies may be used by our online data partners or vendors to associate these activities with information they or others have about you, including your email address. We (or service providers on our behalf) may then send communications and marketing to these email addresses. You may opt out of receiving this advertising by visiting https://app.retention.com/optout.
We use information, including Personal Information, to provide and to help improve the Site, to develop new services, and to advertise (for example, to display Reason ads on other web services). Specifically, such use may include:
(1) Providing you with the products and information you request;
(2) Responding to correspondence that we receive from you;
(3) Contacting you when necessary or requested;
(4) Providing, maintaining, administering, or expanding the Site, performing business analyses, or for other internal purposes to support, improve or enhance our operations, the Site, and other products and services we offer;
(5) Customizing or tailoring your experience of the Site, which may include sending customized messages or showing you Sponsored Results;
(6) Notifying you about certain resources or services we think you may be interested in learning more about;
(7) Sending you information about our products or services;
(8) Sending emails and other communications that display content that we think will interest you and according to your preferences;
(10) Showing you advertisements, including interest-based or online behavioral advertising;
(11) Using statistical information that we collect in any way permitted by law, including from third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts;
(12) Fulfilling our legally required obligations, such as preventing, detecting and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities;
(13) Resolving disputes;
(14) Protecting against or deterring fraudulent, illegal, or harmful actions; and
(15) Enforcing our Terms of Service and other agreements.
How we share your information
In certain circumstances, and in order to provide you with our products of to perform the services, we may share certain information that we collect from you, as described in this section:
(1) Advertising: We do not sell email addresses to third parties. We may send email to you on behalf of paid advertisers.
(2) Business partners: We may share your Personal Information and/or Traffic Data with our partners who perform operational services (such as hosting, billing, fulfillment, data storage, security, insurance verification, web service analytics, or ad serving) and/or who make certain services, features, or functionality available to our users.
(3) Cross device matching: To determine if users have interacted with content across multiple devices and to match such devices, we work with partners who analyze device activity data and/or rely on your information (including demographic, geographic and interest-based data). To supplement this analysis, we also provide de-identified data to these partners. Based on this data, we may then display targeted advertisements across devices that we believe are associated or use this data to further analyze usage of Site across devices.
(5) Public information and submissions: You agree that any information that you may reveal in a review posting, online discussion, or forum is intended for the public and is not in any way private. Carefully consider whether to disclose any Personal Information in any public posting or forum. Your submissions may be seen and/or collected by third parties and may be used by others in ways we are unable to control or predict.
Storage and security of information
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We endeavor to follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and in storage. For example, when you enter sensitive information on our Site and/or our Services, we encrypt that information (both at rest and in transit) using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We store and process your information on our servers in the United States. We maintain industry standard backup and archival systems.
Although we make good faith efforts to store Personal Information in a secure operating environment that is not open to the public, we do not and cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information. If at any time during or after our relationship we believe that the security of your Personal Information may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail to the most recent e-mail address you have provided us in your account. Please keep your e-mail address in your account up to date. You can update that e-mail address anytime in your account. If you have difficulty updating your e-email address or other information on your account, please contact us at email@example.com. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. You may also use this e-mail address to request a print copy, at no charge, of an electronic notice we have sent to you regarding a compromise of your Personal Information.
Your privacy choices
You can always opt not to disclose Personal Information to us, but keep in mind some Personal Information may be needed in order for you to use certain features of our Site.
Note that Reason cannot control or guarantee these rights with regard to Personal Information obtained by third parties who have requested and received your Personal Information through our Site and with your consent.
How long we retain your information
Other web services
Privacy Contact Information
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: (310) 391-2245
We reserve the right to make changes to this policy. Any updates to this policy will be posted here and take effect on the date noted above.